Hi mom, welcome to Cooktophia. Today I will make BBQ Chicken Tostada Recipe. Crispy corn tortilla topped with crunchy BBQ chicken mixture, crunchy cabbage, cheese and jalapeno ranch sauce. This easy chicken tostada BBQ meal is a super satisfying and busy daytime meal!
Why BBQ Chicken Tostada Recipe?
Anything Mexican or Southwest-inspired is at the top of my list of favorite comfort foods. This is the food I crave most when I’m stressed and exhausted, and it’s pretty much a constant during the holiday season. And it’s just around the corner, my friends.
I need a day off, then I get a day off, what do I do? I fill it with about a thousand tasks. I don’t think I’m alone in this! If you’re like me, get Tex-Mex-inspired BBQ Chicken Tostada recipe on your menu soon.
No matter the time of year, I try to squeeze simple meals like these into my menu every week. This is the “BBQ Chicken Tostada Recipe Dinner. Very little prep, easy to make, and ready in 30 minutes. There’s always that tendency to order takeout, but these easy tostadas are just the ticket to a comforting meal at home on those busy days.
BBQ Chicken Tostada Recipe Notes
- Boneless and skinless chicken breasts – Cut into small pieces.
- All-purpose seasoning I use Lawry’s seasoned salt.
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes – Adds a nice kick. Add as much as you like or leave it out completely if you don’t want any heat at all.
- barbecue sauce Your favorite brand.
- corn chips
- oil You want to use a neutral oil that has a high smoke point, such as vegetable oil or canola oil.
- cheese Shredded cheddar and monterey jack cheese.
- green cabbage I use a bag of angel hair cole slaw which is a finely shredded green cabbage. They are stored in the production department with all packaged greens. Using pre-sliced cabbage is a nice shortcut, but you can finely chop the head of cabbage with a sharp knife, if you’d like.
- Jalapeno Ranch Salad Dressing – Lighthouse makes a great one. Check the refrigerated salad dressing section at your local store. If you can’t find it, you can exchange for another brand. There are all kinds of delicious, flavorful ranch dressings that will be delicious on this tostada.
- Optional extras Coriander leaves and red onion cubes. A little avocado or some guacamole won’t hurt the situation a bit!
How to make a crispy corn tortilla for BBQ Chicken Tostada Recipe
I alternate between two ways to taste corn crisp. The burner method It makes very crunchy and delicious tortillas but the drawback is that you have to cook them one by one which may take some time and you have an oil pan to clean up. The Oven frying method It allows you to get rid of the oil (or most of it) and cook an entire batch of tortillas at once on a tray in the oven. A little cleaner and easier on the waistline!
- burner method Grease the bottom of a non-stick frying pan or skillet with vegetable or canola oil and place over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot and sparkling, add the tortillas and let cook until nicely browned on one side. Use tongs to turn it over and cook for another 30 to 60 seconds until brown and crunchy. Transfer the cooked tortillas to a layer of paper towels and wipe off any excess oil. Add additional oil as needed and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Oven frying method Place 4 to 6 corn tortillas on a baking sheet (lined with foil for easy cleaning) leveling them so they don’t touch. Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the sides of the tortillas with vegetable or canola oil or skim the oil completely and use nonstick cooking spray (I like avocado oil spray). Bake in a preheated 450°F oven for 5 minutes, then flip the tortillas over and bake for another 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and toasted. Do not be attracted to cooking it for a long time. The tortilla chips will continue to brittle slightly after they come out of the oven.
No matter how you cook tortillas, I highly recommend purchasing an inexpensive fabric tortilla warmer
How to make BBQ Chicken Tostada Recipe
- Fry the chicken in the hot oil for a minute or two. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a pinch of ground red pepper to taste.
- When the chicken is cooked through, add the BBQ sauce and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place on top of the crispy tortilla with grilled chicken.
- Sprinkle some shredded cheese, plenty of shredded cabbage, and a second layer of cheese, and sprinkle with Jalapeno Ranch Dressing. You can also add a little BBQ sauce on top for extra flavour!
Delicious as is or add small cubes of red onion and cilantro for a nice color and flavour.
Dinner is ready in 30 minutes, and it’s absolutely delicious! There’s just something about crunchy tortillas, cabbage, and delicious BBQ sauce with Jalapeno Ranch Sauce. It’s a great combination of texture and flavor!
BBQ Chicken Tostada Recipe
Crispy corn tortilla topped with crunchy BBQ chicken mixture, crunchy cabbage, cheese and jalapeno ranch sauce. This easy chicken tostada barbecue meal is a hearty and satisfying day meal!
- 2 pounds or pounds for weight Boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small spoon Laurie seasoned salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce (your favorite brand)
- 6 corn chips
- ⅓ cup Vegetable oil Divided or as needed to fry the tortillas
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¾ cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 10 ounce Cole slaw angel hair bag (or finely grated green cabbage)
- ½ cup Jalapeno Ranch Sauce (Like the Lighthouse brand)
- Coriander leaves, red onions, avocado or guacamole
- Cut the chicken into small pieces. Fry them in hot oil for a minute or two. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and a pinch of ground red pepper to taste. When the chicken is cooked through, add the BBQ sauce and reduce the heat to low. Let simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and set aside.
For a crispy tortilla
- While the chicken is simmering, pour about 1/2 cup of vegetable oil (or enough to generously coat the pan) into a medium nonstick skillet and set over medium-high heat. When it’s hot and sparkling, but not smoking, carefully slide into tortillas. Let it simmer for 1 minute or until golden brown. Use tongs to flip the tortilla and continue cooking until crispy and brown on the other side. Transfer the cooked tortillas to a double layer of paper towels to drain and blot up the excess fat with additional paper towels. Repeat with remaining tortillas, adding additional vegetable oil as needed.See the alternative “oven frying” method in the Notes section below.
- Top the cooked corn tortilla with BBQ chicken, a little cheese, shredded cabbage, a second layer of cheese, and a sprinkle of jalapeño ranch. Garnish with optional extras, if desired.
How to fry corn flakes in the oven
Lay 4 to 6 corn tortillas on a baking sheet (lined with foil for easy cleaning) leveling them so they don’t touch. Use a pastry brush to lightly coat the sides of the tortillas with vegetable or canola oil or skim the oil completely and use nonstick cooking spray (I like avocado oil spray). Bake in a preheated 450°F oven for 5 minutes, then flip the tortillas over and bake for another 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown and toasted. Do not be attracted to cooking it for a long time. The tortilla chips will continue to brittle slightly after they come out of the oven.
BBQ Chicken Tostada Recipe feed
service: 1 Toast · Calories: 587 Calories · Carbohydrates: 31 g · protein: 42 g · fat: 33 g · Saturated fat: 16 g · Unsaturated fats: 7 g · Monounsaturated fats: 7 g · Unsaturated fats: 1 g · Cholesterol: 131 mg · sodium: 1333 mg · Potassium: 809 mg · the basic: 3 g · sugar: 14 g · Vitamin A: 430 IU · Vitamin C: 20 mg · Calcium: 273 mg · iron: 2 mg
Nutrition information is calculated automatically using generic ingredients, and is not a guarantee estimate. For more accurate results, please refer to the labels on your ingredients at home.