Hi girls, welcome to Cooktophia. Today I will make Apple juice chicken recipe. Chicken sautéed with herbs and cooked to perfection in delicious apple sauce. Serve apple chicken with roasted Brussels sprouts and apples for an unforgettable fall-inspired meal.
Why Apple juice chicken recipe?
This recipe worked so well on my first try that I knew right away that it would take a permanent place in my fall menu rotation. While Brussels sprouts, sliced red onions and apples are roasted in the oven, chicken is seared and then simmered in an easy cider sauce that is reduced and thickened slightly just before serving.
Oh, that sauce, friends! Declared that this wonderful meal is the best possible way to welcome fall into your home.
Apple juice chicken recipe Notes
- football Trimmed and halved (loosen leaves removed).
- red apple Sweet and crunchy red apples like Gala, Fuji or Honeycrisp. Cut the unpeeled apples in half, remove the core and cut each into 8 slices.
- red onion Cut into 6 to 8 wedges.
- fresh rosemary – You will need several twigs as well as some chopped leaves.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- dried thyme – If you have fresh thyme on hand, use it by all means, but it is not worth buying for the small amount required.
- Boneless and skinless chicken breasts Regular fish, not thin slices.
- Apple juice is basically raw apple juice that has not undergone a filtering process. Sometimes they are sterilized and sometimes they are not sterilized but either way, you will work for this recipe. The apple juice should be refrigerated and consumed within a week or two.
- Dijon Mustard
- apple cider vinegar The sauce gives just the right amount of tang.
- Corn Starch
To roast brussels sprouts and apple
- Add Brussels sprouts, apple, red onion and rosemary sprigs to the baking tray
- My heart with olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread in a single layer and toast on top oven rack, flipping halfway through.
While the brussels and apples are roasting, start eating the apple chicken.
How to make Apple juice chicken recipe?
- Heat the butter in a large ovenproof skillet (cast iron works great!). Season chicken on both sides with salt, pepper, chopped rosemary, and thyme. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until brown on both sides.
- Pour the apple juice into the pan around the chicken. Transfer the pan to the lower oven rack (brussels and apples are roasted away on the top rack) and roast until the internal temperature of the thickest piece reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit when measured with an instant-read thermometer, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- After removing the chicken from the oven, transfer it to a cutting board to rest and return the skillet to the heat. Simmer the sauce to reduce the apple juice slightly. Reduce the heat slightly under the pan and whisk in Dijon. Add a piece of butter and vinegar and stir constantly until the butter melts in the sauce.
- Combine remaining apple juice and cornstarch in a measuring cup and whisk into sauce. Continue cooking over low heat until the sauce thickens. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed, then remove skillet from heat.
- Return the chicken (whether whole or sliced) to the skillet and pour the sauce over it with the spoon.
- Remove the brussels and apples from the oven when they are done with a fork and cooked to your liking. You can roast them until soft and brown, as shown here, or let them cook until they are deeper brown and slightly caramelized.
Apple juice chicken recipe suggestions
Although this Apple juice chicken recipe could easily be a meal in itself, I love serving apple chicken with a side dish of rice or pasta.
- Rice Almond Pilaf – This is the rice pictured in this post. The small, crunchy almond chunks enhance it perfectly.
- Creamy Orzo with Mushrooms and Parmesan Cheese – This delicious side dish of pasta is made on the stove.
- Plain white or brown rice, cooked as directed on package.
Questions, answers and tips Valerie
Apple juice has a stronger flavor than pure, filtered apple juice and works best in this recipe. Be aware that some brands use “apple juice” on the label as a marketing tactic when it’s just plain apple juice. You know you have apple juice if it’s cloudy and a little darker in color. If you’re having trouble locating your cider, check the labels and choose unfiltered cider which is basically the same thing. Find more information about apple juice in the ingredient notes section above.
Absolutely. This recipe would be delicious with boneless or boneless chicken thighs. Whatever piece of chicken you choose, just make sure to cook it at 165 F.
You can add or substitute any vegetables you like. Peeled sweet potatoes, carrots, or baby potatoes would be great options. Just be sure to cut them into a uniform size to roast evenly.
Apple juice chicken recipe card
- 1 fairy football trimmed and cut in half (loose leaves removed)
- 2 Sweet, crunchy red apple (unpeeled) Like Gala, Fuji or Honeycrisp, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 red onion Cut into 6 to 8 wedges
- 2 rosemary branches
- 3 big spoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ small spoons kosher salt (or to taste), divided
- ¾ small spoon Freshly ground black pepper divided
- 3 big spoons butter divided
- 2 pounds or pounds for weight Boneless and skinless chicken breasts 4 pieces (regular thickness, not thinly sliced)
- 1 small spoon chopped rosemary leaves
- ½ small spoon dried thyme
- 1 ¾ Glasses Apple juice divided
- 2 small spoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 small spoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 small spoon Corn Starch
- Place racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat it to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the Brussels sprouts, apple, red onion and rosemary sprigs to the baking tray and toss with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste) and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Spread in a single layer and toast on top of oven rack, flipping halfway through, until soft and browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels, then season on both sides with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, chopped rosemary, and thyme. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook until well browned on the bottom, about 5 to 6 minutes. Flip and let it sit another 4 minutes, then pour 1/2 cup of the apple juice into the pan around the chicken. Transfer the pan to the lower oven rack and roast until the internal temperature of the thickest piece reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit when measured with an instant-read thermometer, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- When the Brussels fork is tender, remove the baking tray from the oven. Remove and discard the woody rosemary sprigs, and stir in the vegetables and apples with a spoon. Lay a sheet of tin foil loosely over the surface to keep it warm while the chicken is done.
- After removing the chicken from the oven, transfer it to a cutting board to rest and return the skillet to medium-high heat. Simmer for 2 minutes to reduce the apple juice slightly. Reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW and whisk in Dijon. Add the remaining tablespoon of butter and vinegar and stir constantly until the butter has melted into the sauce. Combine remaining ½ cup of applesauce and cornstarch in a measuring cup and whisk into sauce. Continue to cook over low heat until the sauce becomes thick. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Remove pan from heat.
- Cut chicken into strips (if desired) and return to skillet with sauce. Serve the chicken with vegetables and apples with a little sauce on their faces.
Apple juice chicken recipe nutritions
Calories: 587Calories | Carbohydrates: 38g | protein: 53g | fat: 26g | Saturated fat: 8g | Unsaturated fats: 3g | Monounsaturated fats: 12g | Unsaturated fats: 1g | Cholesterol: 168mg | sodium: 1274mg | Potassium: 1537mg | the basic: 7g | sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 1247IU | Vitamin C: 106mg | Calcium: 88mg | iron: 3mg