Hi mom, welcome to Cooktophia recipe blog. Now we will make Delicious Butter Tart Squares Recipe. Crunchy shortbread is layered with a sweet, sticky mix of nuts and fruit with a crunchy layer of brown sugar crust to create irresistible butter tart squares.
This recipe turns classic butter pies into a simple dessert recipe that you can make in a fraction of the time. To make this recipe, you’ll press the crust into the baking tray, without having to form individual sour crusts.
Why Delicious Butter Tart Squares Recipe?
Beth described butter tart boxes as the ultimate Canadian food. You know I couldn’t resist baking something described this way!
I am very happy to say that this dessert lives up to its reputation. I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve made butter tart squares over the past 10 years.
Butter tart filling ingredients
The filling for butter pies consists of butter, sugar and eggs. Some recipes create a sweet, moist, and liquid filling, others make them sticky, but firm enough to slice and firm.
We love the butter pancakes made in slabs and filled with delicious raisins and nuts.
- melted butter
- light brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
- kosher salt
- chopped walnuts or walnuts
Butter tart crust
You’ll need only three ingredients to make the crust for this Delicious Butter Tart Squares Recipe: butter, flour, and sugar.
This simple shortbread crust is crunchy and filled with buttercream. It is slightly sweetened and almost melts in your mouth.
I’m a big fan of the simple shortbread crust – shortbread cookies and bar desserts too! Nothing beats the ease of combining a handful of ingredients for these simple foods.
Delicious Butter Tart Squares Recipe
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9″ square pan with parchment paper or grease it well with butter.
- To prepare the crust, whisk together the butter and sugar until smooth. Add flour and stir until combined. Press into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes. Let the crust cool completely.
- When the crust has cooled, mix the filling ingredients together. Stir the brown sugar into the melted butter, then add the rest of the ingredients. Pour the filling over the crust.
- Bake until the top comes back when lightly touched, about 22-25 minutes. Let it cool completely before cutting it into squares.
This can be made in an 8-inch or 10-inch skillet as well. You will need to adjust the baking time accordingly. (An 8-inch pan typically bakes in about 30 to 32 minutes.)