Hi girls, welcome to Cooktophia recipe blog. Now we will make Best Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe. Easy-to-store ingredients create a flavor-packed sauce for rustic chicken pasta and pesto. These quick and easy pastas are filled with tender chicken bites, pesto, roasted red peppers, and creamy ricotta cheese.
Why Best Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe?
Since I found out that Costco carries a large package of quality pesto at an amazing price, it’s been a fun and ongoing challenge to find as many ways to use it as possible. And friends, this delicious chicken pesto pasta is one of the best. It’s easy to prepare but makes for a really special meal.
A jar of roasted red peppers blends beautifully with pesto to make a simple yet delicious pasta sauce. To add some nice texture to the sauce, add a little more half and half and top with a scoop of ricotta cheese over it. Ricotta thaws a little over the final dish and you can eat a little (or a lot!) at each meal. Celestial.
Best Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe Ingredients Notes
- Benny I think penne is the best option for this recipe but any short pasta will work. Feel free to substitute farfalle (tie), medium shells, fusilli, or ziti.
- olive oil
- chicken Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- minced garlic
- spices Salt, freshly ground black pepper, and ground red pepper flakes.
- Roasted red pepper Choose roasted red peppers packed in water, not oil, so they will add great color and flavor to the dish without any added fat.
- pesto – Shop bought or your own homemade pesto.
- equal I find half and half rich enough, but if you want to make this delicious dish, you can substitute heavy cream.
- ricotta cheese Either part-skimmed or full-fat ricotta milk is fine, depending on your preference. I always use a partial skim.
- Parmesan cheese Grated Parmesan adds really nice flavor. Amplify it by garnishing the finished dish with some large chunks of Parmesan cheese.
- fresh basil Not pictured but makes an excellent but optional decoration.
How to make Best Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe
Before starting, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Fry chicken and garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat until chicken is lightly golden brown. Season with salt, pepper and ground red pepper.
- Add the roasted red pepper and stir for a minute or two, until the chicken is well cooked.
- Reduce heat to medium and add half and half of the pesto and stir well to combine with the chicken and any juices accumulated in the pan to make the sauce.
- Add the cooked penne to the skillet with the chicken and stir to combine. Lay small pieces of ricotta over the pasta and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Cover the skillet and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the ricotta has softened and started to melt. Melting ricotta over a skillet filled with pesto chicken pasta is a lovely thing!
And that’s all I have my friends!
A little fresh basil goes a long way to add a nice burst of fresh flavor and it’s really lovely too.
More ways to use pesto
Keeping a bowl of prepared pesto in your refrigerator is one of the best ways to quickly add lots of flavor to a variety of recipes. Here are some of the best.
Serve pesto chicken pasta with a simple green salad with homemade Italian dressing or honey balsamic vinegar. Round off your meal with a warm loaf of French bread or try this easy cheat garlic bread.
Best Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe card
- 10 ounce dry penne pasta About 2 cups (see notes below)
- 2 big spoons olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds or pounds for weight Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 small spoon minced garlic
- ½ small spoon salt or according to taste
- ½ small spoon Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ small spoon crushed red pepper flakes or according to taste
- 12 ounce Roasted red pepper الفلفل section
- ⅓ cup equal
- ½ cup pesto
- 1 cup ricotta cheese Partially or completely skimmed
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese Plus extras for decoration
- fresh basil sliced or torn (garnish is optional)
Best Chicken Pesto Pasta Recipe instructions
- Cook the pen for about 1 minute from the package directions. Meanwhile, chop the chicken into small pieces.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a 12-inch deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and garlic and saute for a few minutes until the chicken is lightly golden brown. Season with salt, pepper and ground red pepper. Add the roasted red pepper and cook, stirring, for a minute or two, or until chicken is completely cooked through. Reduce the heat to medium, add half and half of the pesto and stir until well combined with the chicken and any juices that have accumulated in the pan to make the sauce.
- Drain the cooked pasta well and add it to the pan with the chicken and stir until the mixture is combined. Lay small pieces of ricotta over the pasta and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top. Cover the skillet and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the ricotta is softened and just beginning to melt into the pasta.
- Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and fresh basil before serving, if desired
For a nice touch, garnish the finished pasta with fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 435Calories | Carbohydrates: 22g | protein: 36g | Fat: 22g | Saturated fat: 7g | Unsaturated fats: 1g | Cholesterol: 97mg | sodium: 1439mg | Potassium: 605mg | the basic: 2g | sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1024IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 255mg | iron: 2mg