When you’re in the mood for a fresh, Mediterranean-style meal, this Grilled Greek Chicken Recipe will definitely hit the spot. Grilled lemongrass chicken served with fresh tzatziki sauce is the perfect choice for a warm summer evening.
This gorgeous Grilled Greek Chicken Recipe served with tzatziki and Greek salad is my idea of the perfect summer meal.
- Marinate the chicken while you’re working and it’s ready to cook when you’re ready to eat.
- The lemon, herbal marinade imparts an incredible flavor.
- It’s low carb and healthy but 100% satisfying.
- It gives me another excuse to eat copious amounts of tzatziki sauce.
- It’s the basis for a Greek-inspired summer al fresco meal.
We started barbecue season early this year, especially by Oregon standards, and have been launching our old school Weber on and off since April. It is California in us. When the sun rises, so do us, we’ve had unusually sunny and warm weather this year.
Now that it’s officially summer, it’s definitely time to get on our grill and this Greek grilled chicken is a great choice.
Grilled Greek Chicken Recipe Ingredients Notes
- chicken Any chicken pieces will work with this marinade, but I prefer boneless, skinless breasts and thighs.
- fresh herbs I am a huge proponent of using dried herbs in many recipes, but not this one. Fresh Rosemary, thyme, and thyme Add that classic Greek flavor. The herbs from the marinade stick to the chicken pieces and char while grilling, adding a great flavor.
- garlic Fresh minced garlic.
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
Greek grilled chicken recipe
- Combine olive oil, fresh herbs, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken pieces in a resealable plastic bag and pour the seasoning over it.
- Seal the bag and place the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 8 hours.
- Grill over medium heat until fully cooked. The internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken should register 165 degrees Fahrenheit before removing it from the grill.
Those charred herbs on top of grilled chicken are delicious!
Make it a freezer meal
For an easy meal ahead, prepare the marinade according to directions and pour it over the chicken in a freeze-safe plastic bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible, seal the bag and label it, then put it in the fridge. A freezer bag is the best option to ensure that the chicken is submerged in the marinade.
Safely thaw chicken in the refrigerator overnight before grilling as directed in the recipe. Raw chicken can be frozen in the marinade for up to 3 months.
Grilled Greek Chicken Recipe suggestions
This versatile Greek grilled chicken can be sliced and served in a salad or wrapped in bread. When serving as a main dish, choose one or more of these recipes to make it a meal.
- Immediately refrigerate leftover chicken in an airtight plastic bag or airtight container. Cooked chicken should be used within 3 to 4 days.
- Delicious leftovers are cold from the fridge for an easy lunch.
Light, tasty, and very beautiful on the plate. Summer eats!
Grilled Greek Chicken Recipe
for greek chicken
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 small spoon minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh chopped oregano
- 1 Lemon squeezed
- 1 small spoon kosher salt
- ½ small spoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds or pounds for weight Mixed chicken pieces without skin I used boneless thighs and breasts
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, thyme, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Place the chicken pieces in a gallon-sized zip-top plastic storage bag. Pour the marinade over the chicken and close the bag. Turn the bag a few times to distribute the seasoning. Place the bag in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours. The chicken will be more tender and flavorful if it marinates for several hours or longer.
- Heat our outdoor grill indoors to get medium-high heat. Place the chicken on the grill and discard the marinade. Roast about 5 to 6 minutes per side or until the internal temperature of the thickest part of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Cooking time depends on the size and thickness of the pieces.
- Serve chicken with tzatziki sauce.