As I would see it, puff cake tidbits are the most effortless canapés to make and groups love them. You can utilize puff baked good to make sweet or flavorful bites and chomps from smaller than normal pizzas, empanadas, pockets loaded up with your preferred fillings to sweet turnovers or pinwheels.
The choices are boundless, folks. To make sure you know these Parmesan asparagus cake turns are just the first of many puff cake canapé plans going ahead of the blog.
Presently if you need to dazzle your visitors I energetically suggest attempting Mango Chicken Puffs. They are my supreme top picks!
What’s more, if you are arranging a gathering these Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings ought to likewise be on your menu, inside and out with Roasted Garlic Jalapeno Dip I promise you, your visitors will cherish those.
HOW TO MAKE PARMESAN ASPARAGUS PASTRY TWISTS
Let’s divide the whole process into 5 simple steps:
Step 1: Asparagus – wash, trim & season.
Step 2: Puff pastry – un-roll/un-fold it, cut into thin strips.
Step 3: Assembling – wrap each asparagus spear in a strip of puff pastry & place onto a baking sheet.
Step 4: Egg wash & Parmesan – brush the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle Parmesan on top.
Step 5: Bake!
This recipe is very easy and pretty quick. As you can see, there are no special skills needed.
· 24 Asparagus Spears (see note 1)
· 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
· Salt & Black Pepper
· 1 Pre-Rolled Puff Pastry Sheet (see note 2 & 3)
· 1 Egg, small to medium
· ½ cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded/grated (see note 4)
1. Rinse the asparagus under running water. Cut the hard pale ends off(about 2 inch/5 cm). Place the trimmed asparagus spears in a bowl wide enough so they fit in. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss them around or mix with your hands to make sure they are evenly coated.
2. Unfold/unroll the puff pastry sheet. Cut it into about ½ inch (1.5 cm) strips wide. The length will depend on the length of the spears. Take a strip and wrap it around the asparagus spear, leaving some free space in between. Leave the tip free.
3. Place this onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Repeat until you are done. Crack the egg into a bowl and beat it to make an egg wash. Brush each asparagus twist with the egg wash (the pastry parts) and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F/200°C for 10 minutes or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
5. Serve them warm on their own or with a dip of your choice.
Tips for making asparagus wrapped in puff pastry:
- I always use a ready-rolled chilled rectangular puff pastry because that is what I get in my local supermarket. This is a 10-ounce (275 g) sheet with dimensions: 14×10 inches (36×26 cm). Now don’t worry if you don’t have the same weight or shape of the pastry. As long as you can cut strips out of it, you are good to go. Also the amount of pastry you use can vary. This will depend on how thick or long you cut it, also how thick your asparagus spears are.
- To make 24 Parmesan asparagus pastry twists I used about ⅔ of the pastry.
- Note that every time you might get a different thickness as well as length of asparagus spears. If you buy very thin ones (like a pencil thin) then you might also wrap two of the spears into one pastry strip.
- Parmesan, Grana Padano or Pecorino are all great choices. I recommend grating the cheese yourselves instead of buying ready-grated one to achieve the best flavor!
- I don’t recommend using the very thick asparagus spears (thickness of a thumb or a cigar) as they might not be as tender as the thinner ones. Also they might need longer time in the oven.
- You need to trim off the ends (the thicker parts that are usually pale/brown-ish). The reason behind cutting the ends off is easy – these woody parts don’t taste nice. They are hard and not juicy like the rest of the spears.
Do you need to peel the asparagus spears to make Parmesan asparagus pastry twists?
· No. There is no need to peel them.